The slick-back ponytail is an effortlessly chic hairstyle that has beauty enthusiasts all over keeping articles on how to do a slick-back pony in their bookmarks. It’s arguable that Hailey Bieber has popularised all sorts of sleek, slick-back hair styles.
It just has a magic touch to it. It’s hard to go wrong with it, whether you’re heading to an event or just want to elevate your look for the day. Perhaps it’s the way it accentuates your natural face shape, drawing attention to your eyes and cheekbones. Or maybe it’s because of the polished, sleek vibe it gives off, instantly making anyone wearing the hairstyle look fashionably put-together.
It’s a hairstyle that expresses confidence and playfulness in spades. It’s versatile, too, as you can wear it high and tight for a more dramatic effect or low and loose for a casual, relaxed attitude. No wonder so many people are smitten with it!
The allure of the slick-back ponytail
Some hairstyles come and go, but the slick-back ponytail is here to stay. Think about it: this hairstyle has been rocked by celebrities, influencers, and everyday folks alike for decades.
The reason for this is simple: when done with your features in mind, it’s highly flattering. It’s also easy to do, even on the go, and can be adapted to suit any occasion. It’s the perfect complement to how your Chanel makeup is framing your features, to say nothing of the cinema-ready moment of swaying your hair while wearing a spritz of Lancome perfume.
Simply put, it’s a classic ‘do, making it a go-to choice for those who want a look that’s both stylish and timeless.
It’s also a poster looking for the idea that luxury and simplicity can go hand in hand. When done well, the slick-back ponytail exudes a confidence that’s understated yet impactful, much like how you would feel after using L’Occitane, Clinique, and Regul8 products or undergoing a facial Sydney locals recommend or an acne scar treatment Sydney residents swear by.
What’s your hair type?
The first step to achieving a slick-back pony is to get to know your hair better. Just like we have different personalities, our hair has its own unique character too, and identifying your hair type is the first step towards achieving that perfect slick-back look.
Every hair type has its quirks. Some might be super smooth, while others might have a mind of their own with waves and curls. Identifying your hair goes beyond straight or curly, too; you have other factors to consider, such as your hair’s natural texture, its thickness, and how it reacts to certain hair products or key ingredients.
Different hair types can lead to varied results when attempting the slick-back ponytail.
With straight hair, for example, a sleek look can generally be achieved with little effort. For curly or wavy hair, however, you might need to use more product and coax it to achieve that smooth finish. Thicker hair may also require more hair ties or pins to stay in place, while thin hair might need some volume-boosting to avoid looking too flat.
The good news is that there are ways to guide nature to work in your favour.
If you have straight hair but have texture concerns such as dryness, a specially formulated hair serum could help address them. Those with curly hair might benefit from smoothing cream or gel to keep their curls in check. Layering through teasing can also help those with thin hair, with hair products joining in to add extra volume.
All this to say that you can play around with different products and techniques until you find what works best for your unique hair type. And when using products, it’s best to choose premium-quality ones that take into consideration not just your hair but your scalp as well.
By getting to know your hair better, you’re setting yourself up for success, ensuring that your slick-back pony looks fabulous every time.
Step-By-Step Guide to Achieving the Slick-Back Pony Tail
Are you ready to rock that slick-back ponytail? Let’s get right to it! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do a slick-back pony and achieve that runway-ready look!
Getting your hair ready
- Start fresh. It’s always best to start clean and fresh; this ensures that there’s no product buildup getting in the way of your look by weighing your hair down or making it look greasy.
- Detangle with a wide-toothed comb. This will help to prevent any hair breakage resulting from styling.
If you’re planning to use any heating tools to prep your hair, take care to use them according to your hair type. If you have curly or coarse, frizzy hair, it might be worth straightening your hair beforehand to get that super sleek look!
Styling your ponytail
- Section it out. Divide your hair into sections, especially if you have thick hair. This makes it easier to gather and pull your hair together and ensures a tighter, more secure ponytail.
- Smooth your hair out. Use a brush or comb to smooth out each section as you pull it back. This will help in achieving that super sleek look. If your hair is not naturally straight, be kind with brushing and take your time. Brushing or combing can also build up static and lead to unruly hair.
- Tie it up. Once you’ve decided on how high you’d like your ponytail to sit, secure your hair in place with a hair tie. Make sure it’s tight enough to hold in place, but not so tight that it causes you discomfort. If you feel a pulling sensation on your scalp, or especially at your temples, then your ponytail may be too tight.
If you have thick or heavy hair, you could use two hair ties for added structural support for your ponytail. Finish the look with a bit of finishing product, such as a hair serum or spray, to smooth away any flyaway strands or baby hairs for a sleek look, or style your baby hairs or fringes for a modern touch. Our favourite smoothing product is the Balmain Leave-In Conditioning Spray.
This two-in-one styling and hair care product helps to keep your hair looking super sleek, while nurturing with argan oil.
Do a quick check in the mirror to see how it looks, and do a quick turn. This isn’t just for the cameras; how your ponytail looks when you’re sitting is different from how it looks when you’re on the move. If the ponytail holds after a couple of shakes, then you’re all set.
Practice makes perfect when it comes to ponytails, so don’t get disheartened if you don’t get it right the first time. With a bit of patience and the right techniques, you’ll be rocking that slick-back ponytail like a pro in no time!
Taking care of your hair after styling
Your hair journey doesn’t end once you’ve achieved the perfect ponytail; indeed, taking care of your hair post-styling is just as crucial, if not more so.
Post-styling care is all about giving your hair the nourishment and protection it needs to stay healthy and vibrant. Hair can get stressed out, and with a ponytail, the tight binds could lead to breakage or even the occasional hair fall. Product buildup can also make your hair look dull and lifeless over time.
Just like us, when our hair is stressed, it needs some extra TLC. Investing a little time in post-styling care ensures that your hair remains healthy and beautiful.
This is where luxury hair care products can help. Everyone’s hair is unique, and so should their hair care routine. What works wonders for one person might not be suitable for another. A personalised routine means that your hair gets the care it deserves, and with luxury beauty products brought into the mix, you’re giving your hair the five-star treatment it deserves.
Your hair is your crown, so treat it with the love and care it deserves.
Key Points to Remember
- Your hair is as unique as you are. By understanding your hair type and its specific needs, you can tailor the slick-back ponytail technique to suit you perfectly. Embrace your hair’s natural characteristics and give it a little nudge in the right direction with luxury beauty products.
- Achieving the perfect slick-back ponytail is all about the details. From prepping your hair to adding the final touches, each step is important in making sure your ponytail looks flawless.
- Take care of your hair after styling to keep it healthy and lustrous by giving it the proper nourishment and protection it deserves.
At Beauty Affairs, we handpick the best of what luxury beauty has to offer, helping you bring out your inner radiance. Join us in a world where premium quality and individual beauty meet, inspiring you to new heights of confidence at every age.